Saturday, May 22, 2010


Pin It

Day Six - Using Punches to Create Embellishments for your Pages

To celebrate International Scrapbooking Month I'm going to have a scrapbooking week. I started on Monday posting a post every day for 7 days to show you different ways I've found to use Stamps and Ink, along with patterned papers, punches and of course photos on my scrapbook layouts.

I have a Clear Mounted 'Lots of Bots' stamp set to give away to one person (No Stampin' Up!® Demonstrators please) who leaves a comment on all seven posts this week. I will be doing the draw on Tuesday 25th May.

If you've been to one of my classes or workshops you'll know that I like to use punches a lot!  So this is part one of a two part post on using punches on your layouts.

This layout was on my blog fairly recently but it's a great example of how embellishments are not always readily available for some subjects.  This LO is of the Tawa Cubs marching inthis years ANZAC parade.  I needed a scout fleur de lis, I have used a stamp for this, and some ANZAC poppies. Luckily I had found an tutorial earlier showing how to make these out of a butterfly punch.



This layout is my one and only attempt at Shabby Chic.  This layout seems to use just about every kind of embellishment possible but if you look closely you eill see flowers made with the five petal flower and a retired spring flower bouquet punch, there is a small tab on the top left hand side done with the tab punch and under the photo scallops punched with the scallop edge punch.


This layout is from an album that not many people see.  It's one that my Mother put together on white background paper for my 40th Birthday.  I have steadily been matting the photos and layering them on patternred paper while keeping the journalling and layout as close to the original as I can.  When left with large spaces sometimes just a simple embellishment made with different sized circle punches using the colours used on the layout can be quite effective.


I have a large number of punches in my collection but always reach for my Stampin' Up!® one's first because of the lever handles making punching easier and the ability to use the punch upside down to punch round stamped images and to use the least amount of cardstock possible.  The current range of punches can be seen on pages 152-153 of the Idea Book and Catalogue and pages 15 & 28 of the Autumn/Winter Mini Catalogue here.

Don't forget to leave a comment on this post and the other six this week to enter yourself in the draw.

Previous posts: -
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday





Share

5 comments:

Chris C said...

Fabulous poppies - very real looking.

Bronny B said...

Love the poppies, how do you make them out of the butterfly punch?
I love the scallop punches too, so versatile

Sharna Russell said...

i love using punches, they are so versatile, they look great on the pages you have created

Mel said...

DOH!

Mel said...

the poppies are super clever